How to keep your pet safe this Christmas

It’s fun to involve your pet in the Christmas and New Year celebrations so here are our top tips on how to keep them safe.

Paws off the following
Chocolate, grapes, raisins and sultanas are poisonous to dogs. Always keep your pets away from the Christmas table (Christmas ham is very attractive) and secure the lids on rubbish bins. Christmas cake is definitely off limits and please don’t leave edible gifts under the tree! Remember that cats should be kept away from the sweet-smelling Christmas lilies as these can cause kidney failure even if just a small amount of the plant is ingested.

Leave leftovers off the menu
Don’t be tempted to feed your pet leftovers – most are too fatty or salty for our pets and can cause upset tummies and nasty episodes of painful pancreatitis. Never feed cooked bones and watch out for skewered meat that falls from the BBQ.

O Christmas tree
Secure your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip or fall. Don’t let your pet access tree water and keep any wires and batteries out of paws’ reach. Tinsel and Christmas lights: Kitties love these sparkly “toys” but if swallowed they can lead to an obstructed digestive tract. Salt dough decorations are toxic if ingested -see http://www.vetwell.com.au/news/toxic-homemade-arts-and-crafts.

Fear the fireworks
If you know fireworks are scheduled, plan ahead. Keep your dog and cat indoors and put them in a room with a television or radio turned up. If possible have a family member stay with them during the fireworks. Make sure all windows closed and all exits secure. Speak to us if you are concerned about your pet’s firework anxiety, as we will be able to offer you some more helpful advice.